Wednesday, April 6, 2011

dm1z Battery Meter Reporting Can Be Misleading

I consistently get 5+ hours of battery life on the dm1z on max performance setting. I haven't actually timed this so this is merely my observation. Overall I am satisfied with battery life for the HP dm1z as it has met my minimum criteria.

The reported charge from the Windows system tray battery meter does fluctuate and I have seen this matter reported in dm1z reviews. This does make it difficult to know accurately how much charge is left. It fluctuates from 6 hours to 4 hours to 5 hours so it can be a bit all over the place. You do get a warning when there's 10% charge left, about 30 mins or so, and this has been generally accurate as far as I can tell. If I'm out and about with the dm1z I have my power plug with me, so when I see the 10% warning I know I need to think about plugging in soon.

4 comments:

  1. 8/2011

    Working time appears great, about 5 hrs give or take.

    However I am troubleshooting standby time, on a full charge, standby appears to only last 20 hrs before going into hibernation mode automatically.

    This standby time is ridiculous.

    Power settings configured to maximum.

    Looking to perform a clean install, if that does not help matters at least it will simplify troubleshooting.

    I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO LOCATE ANY INFO ON STANDBY TIME with model. I hope my experience is a fluke/easily adjustable.

    I would like standby time to be capable to last more than a single day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification...

    power settings hibernate set to never unless battery reaches critical low... 5%.

    When computer wakes from hibernation, battery shows 15% charge remaining.

    What the heck is the system doing while in stanby mode that saps all the power???

    Im expecting at least capable of 2 days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah.. one last thing.

    The only difference I can tell compared to any other brand Windows 7 laptop is that the HP wakes from standby mode just by lifting the lid, while all others you have press the power button to wake or some just tapping on the keyboard will wake.

    So Im thinking the HP sleep/standby mode is NOT a true sleep/standby mode and is awake "sleeping with one eye open" if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well good news, issue appears to be resolved. Unfortunately I do not know the root cause/solution. After two days standby, battery has 80% remaining.

    ReplyDelete