Thursday, April 7, 2011

Do I call it a dm1z or a dm1?

The product number for my unit is XL303AV and I'm pretty sure my laptop is the dm1z-3000 variety. However, the laptop itself says it is a "Pavilion dm1" while he HP site says "HP Pavilion dm1z series" when you go to buy the system. I am assuming the 'z' in dm1z is for the dual-core AMD E-350 Zacate processor. There's probably models with Intel Atom so they're just dm1.

So what's really the proper name for this laptop, dm1 or dm1z? And why is HP not making this 100% clear? I'll be calling it a "dm1z", that's what everyone is calling it even though that label is not actually printed on the unit.

5 comments:

  1. HP tends to put a "z" in a model name to indicate that it is AMD-based.

    Thanks for your blog, btw. Just ordered a dm1z myself and can't wait for it to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, enjoy your dm1z! It's a great machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HP sure doesn't make thing clear when it come to models.
    I think I have the same machine. It's a dm1-3000 CTO. Customizable model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How you get the model number:

    Restart the laptop.

    When the HP logo appears, hit the [Esc] key to show the system start menu.

    Hit [F1] to show the system informations.

    Look for the line "Product Number".

    Write down the part before the "#".

    Search for something like "hp [the number you wrote down]".

    ReplyDelete